In recent times, very few health supplements have gained as much approval and main attention than fish oil. With unlimited health benefits and advantages, fish oil containing omega-3 fatty acids can hardly be associated with any harmful side effects. This is probably the main reason that it is being recommended and prescribed by every doctor, dietician, nutritionist, fitness trainer and health conscious people worldwide. These omega-3 pills are often combined with iron, calcium or vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, C or D.
Fish oil supplements are recommended for a wide range of health purposes and for almost everyone. The omega-3 fatty acids, mainly the eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and the docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) contained in omega-3 is good fats having immune health values.
- Fish oil helps in decreasing the risk of heart attack and stroke by lowering blood pressure and levels of triglyceride in the blood. However, it must be taken in recommended doses. Taking in excess it can actually increase the risks of stroke.
- It is beneficial for people suffering from various eye conditions like glaucoma, dry eyes, age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and more.
- Fish oil is used by women to prevent painful periods and various pregnancy related issues like miscarriage and pre-mature delivery.
- Fish oil is helpful for health conditions like diabetes, developmental coordination disorders, dyslexia, asthma, kidney disorders and osteoporosis.
- It is also beneficial in the prevention of weight loss due to certain cancer drugs.
- Omega-3 supplements are considered good for certain mental conditions like hyperactivity, depression, Alzheimer's disease, psychosis, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and more.
Apart from these health advantages, fish oil is highly beneficial for losing fat, building muscles and enhancing the appearance of your body. Although it does not directly affect muscle building and fat reduction, the omega-3 fatty acids in omega-3 contributions immensely in preparing your body to carry out these processes successfully. For example, studies have shown that people lose more weight when they combine proper exercise and diet with omega-3 supplements.
Fish oil is considered ineffective for certain conditions including:
- Gum infection.
- Liver disease.
- Migraine headaches.
- Caludication, which refers to leg pain due to improper blood flow.
- Allergic reactions resulting in skin rashes.
- Chest pain (Angina).
- Stomach ulcers.
Fish oil supplements should be ideally taken with meals and not on an empty stomach. In case you are taking more than 1 capsule per day, it is important that you spread them through the day for appropriate effects.
While choosing the right omega-3 supplement, it is important to consider three factors:
Quality: It is extremely important to purchase the supplements that guarantee complete purification through the extraction of contaminants that are often found in fish. To choose a brand that ensures purity and originality of product in necessary.
Price: It is always convenient to find a brand that provides best quality supplements at a reasonable price. However, in case of health supplements are concerned, it is advisable to make compromises on the budget rather that making compromises on the quality.